Thursday, January 1, 2009

And mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again

Ah, the holidays. Fun, family, togetherness. Isn't it great? I think so...most of the time. I'm sure we've all heard It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas eleventy-billion times and sing every word verbatim. It's running through your head now, isn't it? Your welcome.
On the radio and TV for the past 2 weeks (well, the ones in English anyway), they've been giving parents suggestions on what to do to keep the kids occupied until school starts back after the holidays. I have to say I've never really given it much thought before, but now I'm wondering why it's such a chore to have your kids home all day? They make it out to be such a rough thing. Poor parents, they can't cope with their own children for 2 weeks. Home school parents are with their kids all the time and rarely do they end up in the loony bin. Okay, maybe a few (I could be one of them one day). Why are people so dependent on school to keep their kids occupied? Let me tell you that I do NOT keep Indy occupied 24/7. If he's bored, he has plenty of toys, books, games, whatever, to do. I'm his mom, not his entertainment director. Ooooh, now I'm totally imagining myself like that woman on The Love Boat....Julie? Was that her name? Whatever. I'm curious as to why people think children must be entertained or occupied. Sometimes life's most wonderful moments happen in unoccupied moments. I am not saying that because I'm with my kid all the time I'm a better parent (believe me, I am flawed beyond measure), but spending a whole day, a weekend, a week or even a month with my child doesn't strike terror in my heart.

No comments: